The ways to Not Falling to the dark side?

When a jedi knight and a sith warrior duels with a lightsaber, and then if a sith warrior is defeated and about to be killed by the jedi...  He suddenly hesitates to strike him down because "It's not the jedi way."  :D   Finally he refuses to kill him and turn off his lightsaber.  It's...  custom battle plot of original Star Wars. It is obeyed from the past series to recent series. But...  I cannot understand the 'Jedi Way'.

I'm asking very very important things to you.  The ways to Not Falling to the dark side.
In Force Unleashed, when starkiller was about to strike palpatine down with a lightsaber.  General Kota stopped him and began to persuade him. He said if he skrike him down with 'Anger', he will fall to the dark side.

It repeated in Force Unleashed 2. When Clone starkiller tried to cut Vader's head with his lightsabers, Kota also stopped him and persuade. He said the same words to him. 

The example also exists in many many series and also exists in fan-film movies in Youtube.

However...  I cannot understand Why?
Why do 'just striking target down' lead to the dark side?   Because of their emotion during slashing?
I was always thinking the jedi cannot do vital things when the important moment comes.
He must slash target so that he prevents feedback attack and counter-attack from defeated enemies. If the jedi heistates to strike him down and lets him live, the sith warrior would target the chance to reattack.  And...  the jedi is gone... :    What a shame...  It's...  unwise to hesitate... 

Tavion said 

"You should have killed me when you had the chance, Katarn. Your pathetic Jedi mercy is a weakness that will cost you your life, and the life of your academy's students."

―Tavion Axmis, after revealing herself to Kyle Kartan

The fuck jedi way makes this stupid decision and dangers to death.

Jedis are afraid of falling to the dark side through breaking 'The Jedi Way'.
So what if 'slashing target down' doesn't lead to the dark side?

You strike him down.  But after that, you doesn't fall to the dark side.
Jedi can slash him down with No Anger !   It's easy to do this. Just close your eyes and keep your mind clean and don't feed that emotion.
And...  move your hand which holds activating lightsaber.  Now.. It's done. You've just finished him but you are still alive in the 'Jedi's Code.'

https://youtu.be/MLEMLevAMfQ?t=14m55s

Is it the way to Not Falling to it?  Are they worrying about this just piece of cake threat and menace? It's no big deal. They don't have to worry about it.

General Howard likes this

One problem is that if you start killing anyone who could be a threat to yours, you will become what you are fighting, that is, a monster. But the Jedi do not have the Batman problem; they must kill to avoid something worse, but being careful not to fall into the trap that the end justifies the means, because otherwise you are as bad as what you fight.

therfiles and syainkn like this

If Jedi Academy had better writing, I'm sure Tavion wouldn't have been the last boss since Jedi Outcast set a perfect path of redemption for her. Part of the philosophy of the Jedi is that you only use the force for defense, never for attack, which is why it'd be against their way to kill an unarmed opponent.

At the end of the day, Sidious manipulating the Jedi into following violence was the reason they became almost extinct. When Mace Windu tried to murder an unnarmed Palpatine, he finally cemented the idea in Anakin's head that the Jedi were hypocritical and were trying to make a coup against the republic (which they were).

therfiles and dg1995 like this

At the end of the day, Sidious manipulating the Jedi into following violence was the reason they became almost extinct. When Mace Windu tried to murder an unnarmed Palpatine, he finally cemented the idea in Anakin's head that the Jedi were hypocritical and were trying to make a coup against the republic (which they were).

Sidius was still a threat and had to be arrested, but it is true that the Jedi have already failed when they have to resort to war. Violence feeds the Dark Side.

Sidius was still a threat and had to be arrested, but it is true that the Jedi have already failed when they have to resort to war. Violence feeds the Dark Side.

Yes, they completely failed. After all,  Mace Windu's brilliant plan was to lead a squad of jedi masters to assassinate the Chancellor of the republic. What would have happened if he succeeded?  Only the Jedi care about Palpatine's religious belief, the rest of the galaxy would have only seen it as it was, a coup attempt. 

I think this is a valid question, both in the SW universe, and in real life. When is it right to take a life? When is it not?

I think in the case of Star Wars, the issue is, when the opponent is truly defeated, at that point, it is difficult to justify taking their life purely out of anger or desire for revenge. For example, Kyle had completely beaten Tavion, in that exact moment, there was no point in killing her, except to satisfy his desire for revenge. Of course, he probably shouldn't have let her escape either. He should have called up his rebel buddies to take her prisoner, but he let his anger still keep him from doing the right thing all the way through, which would have been sparing her and also making sure she was still held accountable to some degree, rather all he could say was "Get out of my sight. Pray I find your master before he finds you." Part of him probably wished that Desann would find her if he failed and do the deed of ending her.

With Luke and the Emperor, he (stupidly) assumed the Emperor was actually defenseless because he wasn't brandishing a lightsaber. But in that moment, thinking as he did that the Emperor was basically defenseless, rushing at him to impale him with his green laser sword wouldn't have been the Jedi way.

With Mace and Palpatine, even though it worked out terribly, Mace thought he was doing the right thing, and if he had, it would've have ultimately been for everyone's good. He knew what would happen if things continued on the present course. He probably guessed that something like the empire would raise, and the galaxy would be driven into darkness and slavery by the Sith Lord who had already started a galactic war to achieve his ends. He probably even knew that maybe no one would trust the Jedi Order again for a long time, but he decided that it didn't matter if he had a chance to stop it all right then and there, considering that the Republic he knew (and the Jedi Order) would go extinct anyway if Palpatine had his way. Originally though, he wanted to arrest Palpatine; but he realized after dueling him that it wasn't possible; the only chance would be to beat Palpatine within an inch of his life and even then he could probably escape whatever confinement he's in, or convince everyone that the Jedi we're trying to assassinate him just like he did anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

What's wrong with falling to the Dark Side?! You say it like it's a bad thing..

The Force is balance. It doesn't favour either the Light Side or the Dark Side. The Jedi only know a fraction of the Force and some are even powerful in its use, but they'll never understand the true nature of what the Force is and its potential. To become stronger, you must embrace a larger view (As Palpatine said), not just the narrow, dogmatic view of the Jedi. You must embrace destiny and be the spear-head, that is moving forward all the time.

Look at Anakin, he did what had to be done. He brought balance to the Force, by his actions. The Light Side.. The Dark Side. It all depends on your point of view and again, like Palpatine said.. Good is merely a point of view.

syainkn and Gorc like this

The emotion depends on our own mind. If you are thinking you are angry, it is actually you are angry. But if not, you are not angry. The phenomenon happens depending on our mind. So we don't have to feed that emotion.

In summary, you can divide into 'mind flow' and 'physical flow'. Your hands are moving held lightsaber to kill defeated enemy while you are cleaning your mind with peace of the Force.

Yes, It's... against Star Wars equation...   But it is possible then..

What's wrong with falling to the Dark Side?! You say it like it's a bad thing..

The Force is balance. It doesn't favour either the Light Side or the Dark Side. The Jedi only know a fraction of the Force and some are even powerful in its use, but they'll never understand the true nature of what the Force is and its potential. To become stronger, you must embrace a larger view (As Palpatine said), not just the narrow, dogmatic view of the Jedi. You must embrace destiny and be the spear-head, that is moving forward all the time.

Look at Anakin, he did what had to be done. He brought balance to the Force, by his actions. The Light Side.. The Dark Side. It all depends on your point of view and again, like Palpatine said.. Good is merely a point of view.

The Light Side is balance because Lucas defined the Dark Side as imbalance, cancer. That's why the Dark Side is a bad thing. And Palpatine does not embrace the two sides of the Force (assuming there are, which is not so), because he embraces only the Dark Side and is as partial as some Jedi.

Noodle likes this

The Light Side is balance because Lucas defined the Dark Side as imbalance, cancer. That's why the Dark Side is a bad thing. And Palpatine does not embrace the two sides of the Force (assuming there are, which is not so), because he embraces only the Dark Side and is as partial as some Jedi.

Well, with a view like that.. You're clearly a Light Side supremacist.

Gorc and Noodle like this

But that has negative connotations. Are not you a Dark Side supremacist?

In a nutshell, yes.. But it's only by my life experiences that've led me down that path. It's the reason why I feel so angry, all the time.. And also because I feel far more connected to the Dark Side, than I ever did, to the Light Side, growing up. I can understand and appreciate the Sith views, because it's part of who we are, as humans. The Sith code is naturally embedded in to our genes and DNA. The Light Side is far too restrictive and dogmatic (particularly the Jedi), allowing for no emotions or feelings. etc. That's basically cutting us off from who we really are. That we're not allowed to love or feel anything for anyone. I don't wanna live in a world like that. A world without love, passion or any type of emotion. So I won't follow the Jedi code. As far as I'm concerned, the Jedi are/were the bad guys and the Rebel Scum are the true terrorists, in the Star Wars universe.

In a nutshell, yes.. But it's only by my life experiences that've led me down that path. It's the reason why I feel so angry, all the time.. And also because I feel far more connected to the Dark Side, than I ever did, to the Light Side, growing up. I can understand and appreciate the Sith views, because it's part of who we are, as humans. The Sith code is naturally embedded in to our genes and DNA. The Light Side is far too restrictive and dogmatic (particularly the Jedi), allowing for no emotions or feelings. etc. That's basically cutting us off from who we really are. That we're not allowed to love or feel anything for anyone. I don't wanna live in a world like that. A world without love, passion or any type of emotion. So I won't follow the Jedi code. As far as I'm concerned, the Jedi are/were the bad guys and the Rebel Scum are the true terrorists, in the Star Wars universe.

That is not true, the Jedi are not forbidden to love or feel emotions, but try not to get carried away by certain emotions because that usually leads to doing bad things; the Sith instead focus on negative emotions such as hatred and revenge and who would really want someone like that?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm more in line with Kyle Katarn's way of thinking, if I must say. While I would stay in the Light Side, if I needed to, I would use Force Powers like Lightning or Grip. Because I agree that your powers aren't inherently good or evil. It's how you use them is what matters. Because everyone has both the Light and Dark Side within them. Even the wisest of Jedi Masters has the Dark Side in them as does the most vile of Sith Lords has the Light Side in them.